WEGL Radio is Auburn University’s student-operated, student-funded radio station, and it is unlike any other organization that you will encounter on Auburn’s campus.
WEGL was not the first radio station at Auburn University. In 1922, WMAV began broadcasting from Broun Hall with a 1,500 watt homemade transmitter. It became part of the University’s Extension Service and received a new name, WAPI (for the school’s name at the time: Alabama Polytechnic Institute). WAPI was later moved to Birmingham.
WEGL Radio began as a project of the Student Government Association and the College of Engineering in 1965. After a lengthy study, a committee comprised of students and faculty, headed by Dean Foy, endorsed the idea of starting a new radio station at Auburn University. On June 1, 1970, the Board of Trustees authorized University President Harry Philpott to submit an application on behalf of the Board of Trustees to the Federal Communications Commission for a permit to construct and operate an FM radio station.
On April 25, 1971, WEGL Radio signed on the air with 10 watts of power and began broadcasting at the current frequency of 91.1 MHz, as assigned by the FCC. The studios were located in room 1239 of the Haley Center, where they stayed for nearly twenty years. After one year of operation, a student committee submitted a proposal to the Auburn University Board of Student Communication requesting a power increase. With the support of the University’s President, WEGL’s effective radiate power (ERP) increased to 380 watts in 1975. In June 1977, the station began broadcasting in stereo.
In 1988, the station upgraded its power, for a final time, to 3,000 watts. This upgraded our designation to be a Class A Non-Commercial radio station. During the 1989-90 school year, plans were finalized to move WEGL Radio from its home in the Haley Center to its location in Foy Student Union with other student media groups and projects. On October 8, 1990, Auburn President James E. Martin officially signed WEGL on for the first time from its location in 116 Foy Student Union. In August 2008, WEGL and Eagle Eye moved to the AU Student Center Suite 1105.